How Do I Install A New FLEXnet License Server Dedicated To Providing ESRD Software Licensing?
ESRD uses Flexera’s FLEXnet v11 License Manager to manage client requests for ESRD software product features via a local network license server. Follow the below steps to get started with setting up a new FLEXnet License Manager for concurrent (floating) license management of ESRD software products.
Installing ESRD’s FLEXnet v11 License Manager
- Download the FLEXnet 11 License Manager package from the ESRD Resource Library. Is another version of FLEXnet already installed and running on the license server?
- Unzip the package, and navigate to the \FLEXnet_11\FLEXnet folder. Right-click on setup.exe, and click “Run as administrator”.
Note: you must have Administrative privileges in order to properly install FLEXnet.
- Follow the instructions to install FLEXnet 11 on your server machine.
Note: if you have already sent your FLEXnet server’s HOST ID to ESRD Support, you may skip steps to obtain the server HOST ID.
- After installation, run the Flexera LMtools utility (lmtools.exe) from the \FLEXnet_11\FLEXnet\program files\FLEXnet folder:
Note: FLEXnet v11.5 is a legacy version of Flexera license management software, and recent Windows Server operating systems may prevent the LMTools.exe included in FLEXnet v11.5 from launching directly (e.g. via double-click of LMTools.exe or running LMTools.exe from the Start menu). In this case, launching LMTools.exe must be performed via command line by right-clicking cmd.exe and selecting “Run as administrator”, navigating to the FLEXnet installation folder containing LMTools.exe (e.g. “cd C:\Program Files (x86)\FLEXnet”) and running “lmtools.exe” by command line.
Setting Up a New FLEXnet License Service for ESRD Software Products
- Follow Tip #2 in our Installation and Licensing page to obtain the FLEXnet server’s HOST ID and send to ESRD Support.
- When you receive your floating license file from ESRD Support, copy it to the FLEXnet folder and rename it “license.dat”. Make certain that the true file extension is not hidden from view by Windows Explorer.
- Run LMtools and select the Configuration using Services bubble in the Service/License File tab.
- Select the Start/Stop/Reread tab and click Stop Server.
- Select the Config Services tab. If the paths shown for “lmgrd.exe”, “License File”, and “Debug Log File” are not correct, use the corresponding “Browse” buttons to correct each path as necessary.
- Activate the switches for “Use Services” and “Start Server at Power-Up”. Click Save Service.
- Select the Start/Stop/Reread tab and select Start Server.
- Verify that the ESRD product software license FEATURES are available by selecting the Server Status tab and selecting the “Perform Status Enquiry” button.
- The FLEXnet license server is configured and running. You should be able to access this license server and run the licensed ESRD software product(s) on any computer within your company local area network. Exit LMTools.
Distribution of ESRD Software Product Licenses and Features
- Place a copy of the license file named “license.dat” (unedited and including the “SERVER” line(s)) onto each client machine that you have installed the ESRD software. How can I limit usage of certain features?
Note: if the system administrator prefers to have the client provide a port number and server name, instead of using a copy of the license.dat, this is also supported by setting the environment variable ESRD2_LICENSE_FILE.
- Verify that the licensed ESRD software product(s) can be run from a client machine on the local network by specifying the license file or server upon startup. Are there issues running the software?
For more details: FLEXnet v11.5 License Administration Guide